Who said anything about produce?

Hear the music, and get down with your carrot self. Check out the website www.incurable-allure.com

Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Luna Moth

In my runnings around Chicago today, I decided to take a little walk through the Lincoln Park Nature Museum. Whilst strolling through (in my workout clothes, for I'd been running), I came across a woman who was talking about Luna Moths. She had two of these insects with her.
I had never before realized just how amazing these animals were. Luna moths are huge, compared to other moths. Adults can have wingspans of 5-6 inches. They're bright green with four separate wings (as all moths have), and they have long tapering hindwings that remind one of the tail flying behind a kite.
However, the most interesting thing about these animals (at least to me) is that these animals emerge as adults for the sole purpose of mating and reproducing.
They load up on nutrients as caterpillars, they go through the metamorphoses, then as adults they emerge without any mouths! Once they've grown wings they don't eat anymore! They live for around a week, then die once they've mated! Crazy.

Anyways, I thought I should share my recently acquired understanding.

Rock on, Luna Moth.

No comments: