Who said anything about produce?

Hear the music, and get down with your carrot self. Check out the website www.incurable-allure.com

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Borat

So I've finally just seen "Borat", the smash-hit, critically (and publicly) acclaimed film by Sacha Baron Cohen. A notable Jew from Britain. He is an actor and comedian. A nice Jewish boy.
Yeah, so anyway, Purple and I saw the movie, and I'm terrified. I'm absolutely terrified that this movie is going over so well across the entire nation.
Ok, so fuck me, I'm a sourpuss. Right, I didn't think it was funny.
Purple agrees with me. I feel that we may be alone in our dismay at this film.
Let me explain further:
This film was recommended to me by many people I hold in quite high esteem, as well as respect and enjoy the company of. They will remain nameless. I'm not here to tell people their opinions suck.
I went to the theater with quite high expectations. I understood that it would be low-brow humor, probably cheap laughs, but again, I hearkened back to those that I respected that recommended this film to me.
It was not the film itself that upset me so greatly, it was the audience reaction to the film. It seemed that throughout the entire movie, Purple and I were the only ones not laughing.
What on earth was it that everyone in this theater was finding funny, yet Purple and I were not?
It was not original, it was not insightful, it wasn't intelligent, and it certainly wasn't witty.
What was it that we were looking for? Lets talk about the opportunities he had.
The man had a goddamn interview with Fucking Alan Keyes! A fucking black republican!
He carried a rooster in a bag throughout the entire film and didn't make one single cock joke!
Ok, but so much for missed opportunities, there were other humor outlets, right? WRONG!
This film did nothing!
Now don't get me wrong, when it comes to absurdest culture and ridiculousness, I'm totally there, I'm all for it. But this wasn't absurdest, this was cheap, and it played off peoples inability to question their own faults. I felt that by laughing at this film, I would be ripping up all traces of moral character that I've fought so hard to gain throughout the years.

It had the audacity to attempt a dramatic plot, which if it had achieved what it was gnawing at, would have been entirely unneeded.

Halfway through, Purp leaned over to me and said "I feel no compulsion to stay"
However, I felt that to make an intelligent decision, I needed to see the entire film. I had to take something away from this! Certainly there must be something I could glean from this screening that would lead me to the reason why America laughs at mindless drivel.

Ok, I'm gonna get down off my high horse now and just speak my mind.
I'm really fucking scared that everyone laughed so much and I did not. Do my peers think that bad stereotypes are funny? That foreign people who cannot learn social customs should be laughed at?
Now it's obvious Borat isn't stupid, it's just humor, right, I shouldn't be so goddamn fucking uptight.
But the truth is, I'm really scared about this. The movie wasn't funny.
How do you have a naked fat guy in a movie and not make a single cock joke?!!? Honestly?!!?
It was disgusting, perverse, embarrassing, predictable, terse, and shortsighted.
I really can't put my finger on what it is that worries me so much.
I think it is perhaps that most of the public, as well as many people I like and respect enjoyed the movie so much, but neither Purple or myself gleaned a single redeeming quality from it.
I'm truly scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'm a fan either. And I'm as into dick and fart jokes as the next girl. The thing that I find stressful about the Borat phenomenon is that it reinforces the whole "Us vs Them" issue that has caused this country to be hated so much. The people who are laughing are the people who, deep down, believe that, really, we could blow up the rest of the world and as long as the good old US of A is still here, who the fuck cares? It's a one joke movie: let's make fun of foreign people.